Apple corrects security update for Safari Web browser
Apple has had to issue a bug fix for a security update. At the start of the week, Apple published a pack containing patches for a total of 31 security loopholes (see: Apple Mac OS X security updates) in Mac OS X. It included a bug fix for the Safari Web browser. Apple closed a cross-site scripting loophole in its own Web browser and at the same time put in an update for the beta version of Safari (see: Cross-site scripting hole in Apple Safari for Windows) under Windows that plugged the same loophole.
Apple has had to correct this update. There is a now a new version of the security patch for both the Mac OS and the Windows version of Safari. According to Apple, the security update 2007-009 for the Mac OS X and the Safari 3 Beta update 3.0.4 for Windows caused the Web browser to stop working unexpectedly on visiting certain pages.
Under Mac OS X, the security update 2008-009 1.1 can be installed via a previously arranged security update 2007-009 - but users again have to download a few megabytes to get the complete update: this is about 27.4 megabytes in the individually obtainable download package for Mac OS X 10.4.11, Intel/Universal-Version and 15.9 megabytes for the version for PowerPC systems; the update for Mac OS X 10.5.1 requires 35.6 megabytes. Apple is not offering a separate patch for just the Safari problem.
The Safari 3 Beta 3.0.4 Security update v1.1 can also be installed directly on the preceding update 3.0.4; it is ready for downloading on Apple's Safari pages. Users who have not yet used the first version of the Mac OS X update or the new Windows Safari beta version can import the corrected versions directly; the old version is no longer available for downloading on Apple's Web sites.
- Apple Mac OS X security updates [Apple patches many loopholes in Mac OS X]
- Cross-site scripting hole in Apple Safari for Windows [cross-site scripting loophole in Apple's Windows Safari]
- About Security Update 2007-009 v1.1, knowledge base entry by Apple
- About Safari 3 Beta 3.0.4 Security Update v1.1, knowledge base entry by Apple
- Security Update 2007-009 1.1, download for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Universal
- Security Update 2007-009 1.1, download for Mac OS X 10.4.11 PPC
- Security Update 2007-009 1.1, download for Mac OS X 10.5.1
- Overview page for Safari, with download link for the Windows version of Apple's Web browser