Developer Break: DynamoDB, SyncFusion, App Engine, Live SDK
Developer Break – catching the smaller but important changes and updates to tools and specifications, utilities and libraries:
- Amazon's DynamoDB now has support for binary data without it having to be converted into a string.
- As well as all the SyncFusion components in Essential Studio 2012 Volume 3 now working with the just released Visual Studio 2012, the package has also added a "cloud-ready" report designer and viewer. Other new features include iOS and Android mobile web app themes, an OLAP grid framework for ASP.NET MVC BI applications, a pivot grid UI, and an improved PDF viewer.
- Google's App Engine 1.7.1 has added downloadable usage reports, PyCrypto 2.6 support and a number of other enhancements.
- Windows 8's arrival means Microsoft has had to update the Live SDK to version 5.2; the SDK is made up of a set of controls and APIs for integrating single sign-on with Microsoft accounts and SkyDrive access into applications. It supports Windows 8 and Windows Phone 7.1.
- Oracle SQL Developer has been updated to version 3.2. The update adds the APEX (Application Express) Listener, enhances the UI components and adds support for the beta of Oracle Database 12c.
- The major feature of the first release of WiX 3.7 is a new build system. The WiX toolset, which builds Windows installation packages from XML source code, recently moved under the umbrella of the OuterCurve Foundation and changed licence to the Microsoft Reciprocal License.
- Four Working Draft updates have emerged from the CSS working group at the W3C: CSS Fonts Module Level 3, CSS Regions Module Level 3, Selectors Level 4 and CSS Fragmentation Module Level 3.