Microsoft fixes AutoRun disable option
Microsoft has announced the availability of an update to fix the option for administrators to disable the AutoRun function in Windows. The update will also be included in future automatic updates though Windows Update and Microsoft Update. Previously, Microsoft had issued instructions for disabling AutoRun, but as reported these didn't in fact work for USB drives. This meant that the Conficker worm could very easily spread through infected USB drives. The update ensures that administrators can now truly disable AutoRun as a precaution against Conficker infection.
- OpenDNS to block Conficker, a report from The H.
- F-Secure now claims nine million Conficker infections, a report from The H.
- Report: 2.5 million PCs infected with Conficker worm, a report from The H.
- Conficker in Carinthia: first the state government, now the hospitals, a report from The H.
- Windows worm builds a large Botnet, a report from The H.