In association with heise online

26 July 2010, 12:38

GitHub reaches one millionth repository

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • submit to slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • submit to reddit

GitHub Logo The GitHub developers have announced that their project repository service has reached a major milestone: the one millionth git repository was created on GitHub over the weekend. According to Scott Chacon, GitHub VP of Research and Development, approximately 60% of the projects are full repositories, while the remaining 40% are "gists" or code snippets.

Launched in February of 2008, GitHub is a web site open source code hosting service based around Linus Torvald's Git version control system (VCS). Over the last few years, the hosting service has grown in popularity. In September of last year, GitHub migrated its servers from Engine Yard to Rackspace in order to keep up with its rapid growth.

The site makes its money from paid plans for individuals and organisations that want their repositories hosted privately. Open source projects don't have to pay for the service and have access to unlimited public repositories and public collaborators.

See also:


Print Version | Send by email | Permalink:

  • July's Community Calendar

The H Open

The H Security

The H Developer

The H Internet Toolkit