The H Week
In the past week, The H posted the latest Linux news in the Kernel Log, took a detailed look at Fedora 12, and reported on Google's Chrome OS, Android 2.0, Metasploit 3.3, Camino 2 and Firefox 3.6 Beta 3.
This week, The H took an in-depth look at the twelfth version of Fedora and its new features, including updates to the Desktop, Kernel, Virtualisation and more.
Open Source News
The H posted a new edition of the Kernel Log on storage in Linux 2.6.32, reported on a change in Fedora 12 that allowed repository software to be installed without a prompt for the root password, the Mozilla developers confirmed that Firefox 3.6 will "lockdown" its components directory and Microsoft open sourced its .NET Micro Framework. Google released the source code for its upcoming Chrome OS and the source for version 2.0 of Android and ARM launched a new resource for developers of ARM-based products running Android.
- Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.32 (Part 3) - Storage
- Fedora 12 allows users install privilege
- Firefox 3.6 locks down component directory
- Microsoft's .NET Micro Framework open sourced
- Google releases source code for Chrome OS
- Android 2.0 source code now available
- ARM announces Solution Center for Android
In security news this week, The H reported on thousands of web pages being manipulated in a large-scale scareware attack, a vulnerability in the SSL/TLS protocol that could lead to password theft, a hole in the Serv-U FTP Server for Windows, the release of version 3.3 of the Metasploit Framework and Cisco's new iPhone security application.
- Thousands of web pages manipulated in large-scale scareware attack
- Password theft via vulnerability in SSL/TLS protocol
- Security holes in Serv-U FTP server closed
- Metasploit 3.3 released
- Cisco releases free iPhone security app
Open Source Releases
The Fedora development team released version 12 of their popular Linux distribution, Mozilla released version 2.0 of its Camino open source web browser for Mac and a third beta for version 3.6 of Firefox, version 2.2 of the Phoronix Test Suite arrived and the 2.0 release of Growl for Windows was made available.
- Fedora 12 released
- Mozilla releases Camino 2 Mac web browser
- Mozilla releases Firefox 3.6 Beta 3
- Phoronix Test Suite 2.2 released
- Growl for Windows 2.0 arrives
To see all last week's news see The H's last seven days of news and to keep up with The H, subscribe to the RSS feed, or follow honlinenews on Twitter. You can follow The H's own tweeting on Twitter as honline.