The H Week
In the past week, The H posted the latest Linux news in the Kernel Log, took a look at openSUSE 11.2, asked if MySQL is free or free-market, reported on a new Microsoft patent, MythTV 0.22, Mac OS X 10.6.2 and Firefox 3.6 Beta 2.
This week, The H visited Symantec's Security Operations Center in London, asked if MySQL is free or free-market and took an in-depth look at openSUSE 11.2.
- Inside the Security Operations Center
- The MySQL question - free or free-market?
- openSUSE 11.2 on the test bench
Open Source News
The H covered a new patent from Microsoft that could put Linux security components at risk, Microsoft admitting a Windows 7 tool violated the GPL, posted a new edition of the Kernel Log covering graphics hardware support in 2.6.32, the GNOME release team confirmed that version 3.0 of the desktop will be released in September 2010 and the Mozilla Foundation celebrated 5 years of Firefox.
- New Microsoft patent may put Linux security components at risk
- Microsoft confirm GPL violation in Windows 7 tool
- Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.32 (Part 2) - Graphics
- September 2010 for GNOME 3.0, official
- 5 years of Firefox
In security news this week, The H reported on a flaw in the implementation of the SMB clients in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft released a number of updates for Windows and Office during this months' Patch Tuesday, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.2 and Safari 4.04 to address several critical security holes.
- DoS vulnerability in the SMB client of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2
- Major patch day for Excel
- Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2
- Apple fixes critical vulnerabilities in Safari
Open Source Releases
The openSUSE development team released version 11.2 of their Linux distribution, Mozilla released the second beta for version 3.6 of its Firefox web browser, a new VirtualBox 3.1 Beta arrived with major new features and version 0.22 of the MythTV digital video recorder (DVR) was released.
- openSUSE 11.2 final arrives
- Mozilla releases Firefox 3.6 Beta 2
- VirtualBox 3.1 Beta teleports in
- Open source DVR MythTV 0.22 arrives
To see all last week's news see The H's last seven days of news and to keep up with The H, subscribe to the RSS feed, or follow honlinenews on Twitter. You can follow The H's own tweeting on Twitter as honline.