The H Roundup - Classic Mode for RHEL 7, Business Source & BrickPi
Welcome to The H Roundup, your review of the week with the most read news on The H, the security alerts and open source releases, and the essential feature articles – all in one quick-to-scan news item. This week: Business Source, GNOME Classic Mode in RHEL 7, users warned to remove the Debian Multimedia repository, German hoster Hetzner hacked, GlassFish 4.0, the BrickPi, and a sophisticated Android trojan.
Red Hat has confirmed that it will use GNOME 3's Classic Mode in the upcoming version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the Debian project warned that the domain for the unofficial Debian Multimedia repository is now owned by an unknown entity, the latest version of Ubuntu Tweak was released, and LibreOffice 4.1.0 is approaching.
- Red Hat confirms GNOME Classic Mode for RHEL 7
- Users warned to remove Debian Multimedia repository
- Ubuntu Tweak ready for Ubuntu 13.04
- LibreOffice 4.1.0 approaches with beta 2
German web hoster Hetzner has been hacked and a very sophisticated Android trojan was discovered that has been described as akin to Windows malware in complexity.
The latest version of Calibre can convert DOCX documents for use on e-readers, a new release of VLC fixes regressions, and version 4.0 of the GlassFish application server has been released as the reference implementation of Java EE 7.
- Calibre ebook manager converts DOCX documents
- VLC 2.0.7 fixes regressions
- Java EE 7 reference implementation GlassFish 4.0 released
For robotics enthusiasts, Dexter Industries has had a successful Kickstarter campaign for a project that couples Lego's Mindstorms kits with the Raspberry Pi mini-computer.
The H's DJ Walker-Morgan examines Michael "Monty" Widenius's proposal of an alternative business model for open source companies and finds multiple problems with the approach.
Open Source Releases
Open source releases this week included a new release from ROSA Laboratory, a re-release of the Mageia 3 ISO images, a new version of the FLAC codec, and version 3.2 of the Ardour audio workstation, which includes support for video.
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 brings Azure and Steam support
- Spring Batch plugs into Neo4j and MongoDB
- Mageia releases new Mageia 3 ISO images
- Red Hat emphasises cloud focus in JBoss EAP
- FLAC 1.3.0 release brings RF64 and Wave64 support
- Oracle officially releases Java Enterprise Edition 7
- RethinkDB 1.6 gets regex and array functions
- Ardour 3.2 adds video support
Security-related events that should be noted are Microsoft's and Adobe's Patch Day fixes, vulnerabilities in two of HP's management applications, and a zPanel vulnerability.
- Multiple vulnerabilities found in HP Insight Diagnostics
- zPanel vulnerability permits root access to server
- June updates for Flash and Air close a critical hole
- Microsoft doesn't close all holes on June patch day
- HP's "System Management Homepage" web interface vulnerable
For everything The H has published in the last week, check out the last seven days of news. To keep up with The H, subscribe to the RSS feed, or follow honlinenews on Twitter. You can follow The H's own tweeting on Twitter as honline.