Developer Break: Helix, Hortonworks, .NET Repair, Perl and Visure
Developer Break – catch up on the smaller but important notes for developers, from libraries to APIs and from people to postings. This week: Helix enters incubation, Hortonworks releases a preview, NetAdvantage updates, .NET Repair, Perl 5.14.3 and Visure.
- Just arriving at the Apache Software Foundation Incubator is Helix, a cluster management system for managing partitioned and replicated resources. Helix was developed at social networker LinkedIn to help manage its clusters; it is written in Java and uses Apache ZooKeeper to track system state.
- Hortonworks has made a preview of Hortonworks Data Platform 2.0 (HDP) available. Built around Hadoop 2.0, which is currently in alpha, it includes the latest releases of HBase, Pig, Hive, HCatalog and Oozie from the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Software component maker Infragistics has released its NetAdvantage Ultimate 2012 Volume 2 package. The second upgrade of the year includes the new NUCLiOS native iOS controls and has been redeveloped to work with Visual Studio 2012.
- Got problems with .NET Framework setup issues? The .NET Framework Repair Tool has been updated and now includes support for repair issues with .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 setup.
- The Perl developers have released a third update to Perl 5.14. The update's pod notes two security fixes and a number of bug fixes, but it should be fully backwards compatible with 5.14.0.
- The newly released version 4.4 of the requirements management software Visure Requirements adds new options for rolling back changes, drag and drop element sorting and improved reporting.